Cryptocurrency Anti-Money Laundering Report, 2019 Q4
The Q4 2019 CipherTrace CryptocurrencyA cryptocurrency (or crypto currency) is a digital asset des... More Anti-Money Launder Report covers the latest developments and trends in global efforts to counter money laundering, terrorism financing, and sanctions evasion. It also includes updates and year-to-date statistics on cryptocurrency related crime—which topped US$4.5 billion, including a massive increase in insider fraud.
- Total of cryptocurrency frauds and thefts hit a staggering US$4.5 billion, including:
- US$370.7 million lost in exchange thefts and hacks
- US$4.1 billion of losses stemming from fraud and misappropriation of funds
- 66% of dark marketA Dark Market is a commercial website that operates via dark... More vendors sell stolen payment products, with compromised accounts sometimes selling for as low as 1% of the actual value.
- Banking and cryptocurrency increasingly intertwined as 8 out of 10 U.S. retail banks harbor illicit crypto MSBs.
- 97% of ransomwareA type of malicious program that is designed to encrypt a sy... More uses BTC as the payment rail.
- FinCEN, CFTC, and SEC clarified areas of authority in joint statement as U.S. Congress working to codify which agencies regulate and enforce the various blockchainA blockchain is a shared digital ledger, or a continually up... More regulations.
- IRS for the first time asked taxpayers to list their cryptocurrency earnings on tax form.
- Largest Russian dark market launchng ICO to fund Western expansion.