Cryptocurrency Anti-Money Laundering and Crime Report, Spring 2020
The Spring 2020 CipherTrace CryptocurrencyA cryptocurrency (or crypto currency) is a digital asset des... More Anti-Money Launder and Crime Report covers the latest developments and trends in global efforts to counter money laundering, terrorism financing, and sanctions evasion. It also includes updates and year-to-date statistics on cryptocurrency related crime—which have already topped US$1.4 billion, suggesting 2020 could see the second-highest value in cryptocurrency crimes ever recorded.
- Total of cryptocurrency frauds and thefts have already hit a staggering US$1.4 billion.
- Of the $1.36 billion stolen, fraud and misappropriation account for 98% of the total value—nearly $1.3 billion.
- Phishing sites were found to be the most popular COVID-19 related products sold on the dark web, while most fake COVID-19 PPE products had very little sales.
- The global average of direct criminalA Criminal is an individual or group who has been convicted ... More funds received by exchanges dropped 60% in the past three years.
- Only 0.17% of funds received by cryptocurrency exchanges globally came directly from criminal sources.
- Finnish exchanges ranked #1 for highest percentage of criminal BTC received for the third year in a row.
- 74% of the bitcoinThe term "Bitcoin" can either refer to Bitcoin the network, ... More moved in exchange-to-exchange transactions was cross-border.
- 88% of funds that US Bitcoin ATMs (BATMs) sent to exchanges in 2019 were sent offshore.