- All-time highs continue as we move into 2021! Looking forward to the possibility of Taproot, Tapscript, MuSig2 and more in this coming year.
- David Burkett published the PR for one-sided transactions through Litecoin’s Mimblewimble Extension Blocks. The aim is to merge the code in Q1 of 2021; activation will then be decided by the miners.
- Vitalik Buterin shared his endnotes on 2020.
- Sigma Prime released their latest upgrade to Lighthouse v1.0.5 with an important fix for subnet discovery and dependency updates.
- DEX aggregator 1inch has issued its own governance token, 1INCH token.
- StarkWare published the Cairo toolchain: compiler, VM, IDE tools, documentation, and more.
- GUSD is now accepted by MakerDAO as collateral. Use GUSD to borrow DAI via Maker Vaults on Oasis Borrow
- OpenDAO has integrated RenVM. Bitcoin holders can now use their BTC as collateral for minting the yield dollar and eventually USDO.
- The first major update from Monero’s Bitcoin Atomic Swap project Farcaster has been published.
- The amount of BTC pegged to the Blockstream Liquid sidechain increased in 2020 from 96 BTC to 2,600 BTC.
Paradigm announced the Paradigm CTF, an Ethereum-focused security competition.
- The Bitcoin hash power that is merge mining the RSK sidechain increased from 57% to 62% in 2020. The amount of BTC pegged into Rootstock increased from roughly 162.4 BTC to 546.3 BTC.
- The number of OP_RETURNs outputs on the Bitcoin blockchain have dropped drastically throughout 2020, from around 1,504,277 in January 2020 to roughly only 485,034 as of the beginning of December.
- The initial security audit report performed by Least Authority of the Loopring Protocol v.3.6 zkSNARK Circuits is out.
- Wasabi Wallet shared their year in review.
- Aave was selected as the next token to receive BNT liquidity mining. Once the AAVE pool receives $400K USD in liquidity, weekly BNT rewards will get activated, as well as 1M BNT of impermanent loss insurance via Bancor.
- Paul Razvan Berg published MultiSol, a CLI written in Rust for making contract verification of Ethereum smart contracts easier.
- Velo Protocol will integrate Chainlink Price Feeds to obtain FOREX and crypto price data in its Federated Credit Exchange Network (FCX).
- Primitive is now live on Ethereum! Primitive is a new protocol that harnesses the power of simplicity to deliver tokenized options for any asset on Ethereum.
- Furucombo announced the COMBO token launch and overall distribution plan.
- OKEx officially released a second platform token, OKT, on December 29th, 2020. The initial 10M tokens will be given to OKB holders. The tokens will mainly be used for an OK public blockchain in the future, which is part of Cosmos.
- Code is now available for Monero’s Bulletproofs+, a zero-knowledge proving system that can be used in the Monero protocol in place of the existing Bulletproofs implementation.
- Bankless published tips on how to maximize one’s Argent wallet for all things DeFi.
- The Substrate IBC Pallet is currently being worked on to bring a bridge between DOT and Cosmos IBC.
- Opyn announced the launch of v2!
- The popular Ethereum-based game Dark Forest has launched its latest version, v0.5!
- Curve Finance released their latest update on tokenized Bitcoin support in pBTC, BBTC, and oBTC, including Euro and USD pools.
- Ren published their Ecosystem Update for 2020 including their recent integrations and availability within DeFi.
- Personal Bitcoin node software Umbrel released their latest update with the Umbrel App Store, which will allow users to install self-hosted Bitcoin applications.
- Deerfi money market is using Chainlink Price Feeds live on mainnet to price crypto-assets used in their lending and borrowing operations.
- Cover Protocol was exploited; read our full analysis here. ~$3M in tokens were returned by Grap Finance with a lovely message. Cover stated they are exploring the option to release a new token through a snapshot before the exploit.
- Emiliano Bonassi summarized the exploit with a full test and published his results on GitHub.
- Bitwise 10 Crypto Index Fund, “The Fund,” has liquidated its position in XRP.
- Soona Amhaz of Token Daily shared their 2021 Crypto Crystal Ball.
- Bitcoin holders can now sell their BTC from 16,000 Cashzone ATMs across the UK under a new agreement with London-based crypto company BitcoinPoint.
- The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has accused the founder of hedge fund Virgil Capital of fraud.
- Grayscale Investments continued their increase of holdings per share, now holding ~$18.8B in assets under management (AUM) with Bitcoin being their largest one.
- Bitstamp is halting XRP trading and deposits for all U.S. customers on January 8th, 2021, due to recent SEC filing against Ripple Labs.
- Coinbase is suspending trading of XRP on Tuesday, January 19th, 2021, at 10am PST.
- Crypto.com plans to delist XRP effective on January 19th, 2021, at 10am UTC.
- The Carolina Panthers OT Russel Okung will now receive half of his $13M salary in Bitcoin as part of a partnership with Strike.
- OKEx announced the launch of real-time settlement for all perpetual swaps, futures, and options contracts.
- CoinDesk reported that Israel-based payments processor Simplex has become a principal member of the Visa network.
- eToro is rumored to be in talks with Goldman Sachs about possibly leading the offering of a $5B IPO.
- After Binance’s announcement last week regarding a $10M fund to support projects on Polkadot, the DOT token has risen more than 40%.
Jakes’s Cup of Coffee:
This week, Jake’s grabbing a cup from Denver’s Novo Coffee. Their Pinavete Natural is an amazing roast with notes of raspberry, peach, and molasses. This Central American selection is bursting with flavor and is sure to bring a nice change of pace to your coffee tastes! Enjoy, and Happy New Year!