- Luke Dashjr, a Bitcoin Core developer, estimates the total number of Bitcoin nodes fell 22% from 65,000 to 50,500 during 2019, based on counts of unreachable/non-listening nodes. Full historical graph: https://luke.dashjr.org/programs/bitcoin/files/charts/historical.html
- Overnight on January 1st, 2000 Bitcoin Core onion nodes appeared. There are normally 200. Github user BitNodes later attributed the jump to faulty code.
- Litecoin shared a post regarding strange network activity that has been taking place since August 20th, 2019. On average the network sees around 40K active addresses per day. However, bitinfocharts reported that every 7 days this value spikes to 70K. Full post: https://litecoin.com/en/news/the-strange-network-activity-behind-litecoin-active-addresses
- Bitcoin ABC 0.20.10 has been released. This release cleans up the output of mempool-related RPC commands.
- The Muir Glacier fork which activated on January 2nd was a success! The fork reduced block times by 25%.
- Ariel Gabizon, previously a cryptographer and engineer at Zcash, recently became Chief Scientist at AZTEC Protocol. His main focus will be bringing privacy to web3 using universal SNARKs.
- Beam, a privacy-focused cryptocurrency which uses MimbleWimble, celebrated its first anniversary and halving on January 3rd.
- Loopring posted a thread regarding the Loopring v3 settling zkRollup DEX transactions on Ethereum mainnet for the last 10 days of December 2019. They reported that 393,518 trades were completed.
- In 2019, the amount of BTC pegged to the Liquid sidechain increased from 42 BTC to 96 BTC.
- Monero devs shared Triptych, a logarithmic-sized ring signature scheme that would allow for larger ring sizes while retaining efficient transactions. This is in relation to both transaction size and verification performance. Full paper: https://eprint.iacr.org/2020/018.
- StarkWare, Eli Ben-Sasson and Alessandra Chiesa’s project focused on bringing privacy and scalability to blockchains, shared stats on their DEX that break Ethereum’s scalability record post-Istanbul fork, with a 2000X improvement over Ethereum Layer-1. 9K trades per second at 75gas per trade. Full thread: https://twitter.com/StarkWareLtd/status/1214236179551412232.
- Tornado.cash posted about how to stay anonymous in Bitcoin.
- Wasabi Wallet’s Wasabi Research Club conducted its first meeting diving into great detail regarding coinjoins and mixing frameworks. The main topic of choice was Knapsack Mixing and its use of anonymous coinjoin transaction with arbitrary values.
- IBM is launching a new app that uses blockchain to allow consumers to trace the coffee they buy along the supply chain. Full article: https://www.coindesk.com/ibm-blockchain-app-promotes-virtuous-cycle-for-sustainable-coffee
- Nakamoto, a crypto-focused journal, offered its predictions for crypto over the next decade: https://nakamoto.com/crypto-in-the-2020s/
- The Hodl Hodl exchange launched a new loyalty program called Strong Hodler.
- Winklevoss Capital joined the $5M seed round for crypto tax reporting platform TaxBit.
This Week’s Cup of Coffee:
This week, we are grabbing a cup from Chromatic Coffee Co. in San Jose, California. José Maria’s Dark Roast from Brazil is a warm roast with notes of cocoa and brown sugar. Out of all the different coffees I’ve had, Chromatic always gets the “tastes like” on their bags perfectly. Enjoy!